Staying Period
  • There are three ways for expatriates to remain in Korea. These are short term stay, long-term stay, and permanent residency,
    • Short term stay : less than 90 days
    • Long-term stay : 91 days or longer
    • Permanent residency : no restriction on the period of stay
  • For long-term stay and permanent residency, expatriates are required to register as an alien(thus obtain an Alien Registration Card) or file a Domestic Residency Report within 90 days of arrival
Scope of Activities
  • Foreigners can stay only in period of stay with qualifications, and otherwise stated by law, cannot do political activities.
  • Foreigners who intend to work in Korea must obtain a relevant work visa and should work only in the designated workplace.
  • In order to change the place of employment, one must report to the office of immigration and obtain permission.
  • Visas Allow Employment
    • Short-term Employment(C-4), Professor(E-1), Teaching Conversation(E-2), Research(E-3), Technical guidance(E-4), Professional Employment(E-5), the entertainment industry(E-6), Specific activities(E-7), Non-professional Employment(E-9), Crew Employment(E-10), Long-term Resident(F-2), Overseas Korean(F-4), Permanent Resident(F-5), Married Immigrant(F-6), Working Holiday (H-1), Working Visit(H-2)
Extension of Sojourn

Anyone wishing to extend their intended period of sojourn in Korea must apply for a permit.

  • Application Period
    • Anyone wishing to remain in Korea beyond their visa expiry date must apply for an extension 4 months prior to the expiration.
    • Visa holders who overstay are subject to a fine.
  • Method of Application
    • The person or his/her agent (please check separately as the agent is qualified) shall prepare application documents and submit them to the immigration office of his/her address. (Refer to for the documents submitted) by stay qualification.
Integrated manual by visa type

Details such as required documents could be different after the updates. Please make sure you check the information at the Korea Immigration Service, the Ministry of Justice( or Korea Visa Portal(